Wednesday, December 14, 2011

not a fun game

I was a choir nerd in high school. You know what I mean. I lived in my world, and the jocks lived in theirs -never the two shall meet. Then a cheerleader joined choir, and we got to know each other.
It was the Friday of a big football game, and the whole school filed to the gym for a pep assembly. The cheerleaders got up to do the normal, embarrass-the-jocks game, except my new cheerleader friend thought it would be fun to include me. Mor-ti-fied by hearing my name called, I went down to the gym floor and lined up with the populars.
The bat game.
Put your head on the bat and spin around 15 times and then try to walk across the gym. (Are you not moaning in agony for me as I tell this story? It's making my stomach hurt just remembering.)
I'm feeling that same feeling again today, vulnerable and exposed. Have you ever been going along just fine and then all of a sudden you feel like you just took 15 turns around a bat in front of a room full of people? I don't know why I feel that way today.
After the assembly, one friend walked by me in the hallway and gave me a look of compassion -no words, just a look that let me know he understood how I felt and that he cared. That look helped me breathe again.
What stabilizes us when we are hit by a wave of insecurity? We need a friend. Someone who gets us.
Hebrews 12:2.
"Fix your eyes on Jesus..."

1 comment:

  1. I know that feeling all too well and way too often. Love you friend!

    ReplyDelete