Sunday, December 11, 2011

hands together

I played the piano in the Alzheimer wing at the nursing home today, a little music while the residents were being set up to be fed. I tried not to take it personally when one woman started crying while I was playing (I didn't think I was that rusty) or when the woman to my left started snoring. Tough crowd. But one woman was very coherent, and they wheeled her up close to the piano. She had a huge smile the entire time I played. After every song she clapped and told me how beautiful the music was. She was frustrated when she would try to clap, though.
"I just can't clap very loud. I wish I could clap louder." I looked at her fingers twisted from arthritis.
"You're clapping loudly enough" I said.
She said, "Not for the way I feel, though."
My body and mind are well. My feelings for the Lord go deep. Am I clapping as hard as I can?

1 comment:

  1. Again! Thank you for the reminder! I will choose to clap loudly today!

    ReplyDelete