Friday, July 20, 2012

Timidity doesn't change the world.

What is the difference between humility and timidity? 

This is a question I’ve been struggling with for months, as I’ve stepped out boldly to say, I’m a writer 

But how easily that leads to arrogance. 

So I’ve labored toward godly humility, but in the process I’ve stumbled over all these verses in the Bible that talk about how, as a follower of Christ, I’m the light of the world (the whole world?) and how I’m to bear much fruit (a crazy amount of fruit?) and how I’m God’s masterpiece (His piece de resistance, His magnum opus?) 

Those don’t feel like humility kinds of verses.  They say to me, Hey, you’re crazy awesome with God’s Spirit living inside you, so live out loud!   

“There is no charge for awesome.” –Kung Fu Panda. 

You tell me –how does godly humility fit together with light-of-the-world kind of talk? 

Paul told Timothy, “I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God...for God has not given us a spirit of timidity.”  (2 Timothy 1:6,7) 

Spirit of humility?  Yes.  Spirit of timidity?  No. 

An interesting tension exists between boldness in using our giftedness and humility of heart. 

I love this quote from Marianne Williamson:
Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
I imagine you have some crazy-good giftedness God has placed inside you for the benefit of lighting up the whole world.  Like a magnificent painting by a master artist.  

For me, stripping off the timidity means putting my soul on the internet in the way of blog posts.  What does bold light-shining look like for you?

No comments:

Post a Comment