Tuesday, July 31, 2012

food control

My freshman year of college I gained 15 pounds.  I decided one of my problems was the cafeteria ice cream bar.  Available at lunch and dinner.  Several flavors.  Dip your own. 

Once on the lips, forever on the hips. 

So I swore off of ice cream, always associating the thought of it with those unwanted pounds. 

For 20 years we have not had ice cream in our freezer, except for the occasional birthday party. 

A mom “provides food for her household.”  (Proverbs 31:15  NIV) 

A mom chooses what goes in the shopping cart and what ends up on the pantry shelves and in the refrigerator. 

I’ve slowly been making radical food choices on behalf of my family.

·      Matt decided to go without soda for a while, so I stopped buying it.  Forever.  (Withdrawals on pizza night were hard to get through!)
·      The soda revolution worked, so one day I decided not to buy potato chips anymore.  I was prepared for a family uprising, but shockingly it never came.  (It is possible to live without Doritos.)
·      Whole wheat.  No more enriched white, despite my son’s pleas.
·      Definitely no ice cream.  (And what a special treat that makes it when we do get some.)
·      Always fruit.
·      No juice, unless you can push the thermometer past 98.6.  (No more drinking calories.)

It’s a work in progress.  I still have a Costco-size bag of chocolate chips in the freezer, and the boys cry if we run out of Fun Pops.   

But oh the power we have in providing food for our household.  We choose the nutrition quality. 

What’s one food improvement you think you should make for your family?

No comments:

Post a Comment