Friday, July 13, 2012

squeezing someone into your day...with grace

I search hard for the cell number of our computer fix-it friend, after my computer (where my whole brains are) won’t start up. 

Do you have time to help me with my computer today? I ask. 

No, my schedule is packed tight today. 

Long quiet.  He looks through the phone and sees my head sagging in defeat and anxiety. 

What’s it doing? 

I explain, and he walks me through steps to solve the problem.  Me apologizing along the way.  Sorry, I know you’re too busy for this.  If you want to just let me know when you have time we can wait until then. 

I can sense he’s way too busy to be helping me today, but then he says, We’ll make this happen.  You’re valuable. 

You’re valuable. 

The way I had responded to my son earlier in the week came shamefully to my mind –when he asked me to drive him somewhere and I moaned and acted like he was ruining my whole life by his request. 

Not long after my computer was fixed, my son was getting ready to go to the lake with friends, and he asked me to iron a shirt for him. 

To wear to the beach? I asked. 

Yes, he replied, and I could tell that how he looked when he arrived at the beach was really, really important. 

I thought of how my too-busy-to-help-you friend told me I was valuable, and I decided to treat my son like he was valuable.

Set up the ironing board, I said. 

“Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved [VALUABLE!!], clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness, and patience.”  (Colossians 3:12  NIV) 

When someone interrupts your busy day with a request, how do you respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment