Friday, July 6, 2012

Go to the ant!

I looked around my house and was feeling depressed by how far behind I was in everything.  Laundry.  Paying bills.  Running errands.  Dishes (always dishes!)  Picking up.  Sweeping.   

I was reading Ann Voskamp’s blog, and she was talking about starting writing at 9:30 p.m. after her six kids go to bed.  Then she gets up at 5:00 to go write again.  What? 

My problem is sleep.  I’ve been waking up early to write a blog post (thank you for reading my morning thoughts), but then I’ve been crawling back under a warm quilt to catch a few more hours of sweet slumber.  It’s summer, and it’s so nice not to have the routine of getting kids out the door to school with cold lunch in hand.  Sleep is nice. 

But my indulgence has been showing up around the house. 

Yesterday I tried something new.  I stayed awake.  Ignored grandma’s patchwork flannel goodness and kept moving instead.  And man did I get stuff done!  Kitchen cleaned and swept.  All errands run.  Found some kitchen counter.  Laundry caught up (can that really happen?)  Finances in order.  Aaaaaaaaaah. 

“Go to the ant, you sluggard; consider its ways and be wise!  It has no commander, no overseer or ruler, yet it stores its provisions in summer and gathers its food at harvest.  How long will you lie there, you sluggard?  When will you get up from your sleep?”  (Proverbs 6:6-9  NIV) 

Admit it.  Is there a bit of sluggardness (I made that up) creeping into your life somewhere? 

No comments:

Post a Comment