Wednesday, July 11, 2012

the struggle of time management for stay-at-homes

I’ve decided I need a mom.  Well, I have a mom, but I need a mom in my house all day to say, Time to get off the computer and get some chores done.  Someone to sternly command me to get with it. 

Because yesterday I was home all day, and when I went to bed last night my bed wasn’t made.  It wasn’t because I didn’t have time to make it.  It’s just that I didn’t.  And I didn’t empty my bathroom garbage can, which is soon to be climbing-up-the-wall full.  I could have, but I didn’t. 

My confession, right here out loud to all of you, is that I don’t always manage myself very well at home.   

Proverbs 31:27 says, “She watches over the activities of her household and is never idle.” 

I do that, too –well, the watching over the activities of my household part.  Watching the dishes stack up.  Watching the dust accumulate.  Watching the paperwork pile grow.  Is that what Solomon meant?

It’s hard when you work at home all day, and there’s no one to hold you accountable for what you choose to do in each hour.  Easy to slip into idleness.  And you can finish the sentence, “Idle hands are the ________.” 

Is it true?  Is that Proverbs 31 lady never idle?  She definitely must not have a Facebook account. 

I’m going to make quite an effort to stay hard at it all day long today, especially to do some chores that I’ve been idling on.  I will empty my bathroom garage today! 

Does anyone else out there struggle with staying industrious all day long when you’re at home by yourself?

2 comments:

  1. Yes and no (with staying industrious). If I am fortunate to have a free day to myself (and honestly that hasn't happened in a year and a half which is another story for another day) I always had a list of what I was going to get done around the house and then would set up times that I would start cleaning house, etc. It helped hold me a bit accountable. Now if it was a vacation day and I happened to be at home, then I didn't schedule anything to get done, just did the minimal, clean up after meals that sort of thing. The computer does suck our time away if we let it, I'm realizing right now I'm supposed to be off of it at 7 a.m. to start my Bible reading and its 7:10 and I'm still here.....

    got to go; enjoy the day!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A list -that's what I need. Thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete