Tuesday, May 1, 2012

the power of "like"

This is a big day in my world. In this month my daughter will attend her last day of high school -nineteen days from now, not that anyone in this house is counting. (You can do it, sweet daughter!!) 

It’s also a big moment for me, because today marks exactly six months since I began writing this blog every day. Do you mind celebrating with me? For so many years I had these deep-inside thoughts about God. Every day I was making new discoveries about who he was, how he worked, what he wanted from me. I would stand around with a plate full of delicious truth and think, If only I had someone to share this with.   

Then my daughter made a comment one day that I should write a blog, and she said this tiny little sentence that shoved me into action. I would read it, she said.   

Really? Really daughter?  

So began this strange half a year where she has been a senior, and I think I’m supposed to have been encouraging her as she ventures off into a new life. Instead it has been the other way around. She has encouraged me to keep writing, listening patiently to all my fears and discouragement along the way. I think if it were not for her encouraging words, I never would have had the courage to get up every morning to pour out my soul to you.   



On top of all of her cheers have come kind words from all of you. You have absolutely no idea how powerful the “like” button is on Facebook. I sit here at my messy desk trying to share the deep truths God has put on my heart, and I’m constantly filled with self doubt and wonder that anyone would read my dumb little thoughts. Thanks to every single one of you who has taken a second to say that God has touched you in some way by the words I’ve scribbled down.    

1 Thessalonians 5:11 says, “Encourage one another and build each other up.   

Just a reminder to you this morning that a kind, encouraging word to someone in your world can make all the difference in whether that person steps out courageously to do what God has put on his or her heart to do.    

9 comments:

  1. I read your blog also - and I read my daughter's blog! What a great tool for expression.

    And what a beautiful young woman your daughter has become! Our little girls have grown up so much - where did time go?

    Thanks for sharing your heart through this blog.

    Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue -on both accounts! I always think the same about your Beth -what a beautiful young woman. I don't know if I'm ready to let my girl leave home, though!!

      Delete
  2. Thank yo for sharing your heart with all of us the last 6 months! You have touched my heart in so many ways!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, friend. Can't wait to see you today!!

      Delete
  3. Interestingly enough, I have a photo of you in my Bible from our college days (they weren't THAT long ago!). On the back of the photo, you wrote, "I like the sprite in you!" Everytime I see it and read it, I smile because I think, "I don't drink Sprite. Never did in college. Did she mean 'spirit'? Was she being funny?"

    You're right, we never know how a few encouraging words can lift someone's spirits. And it may go with them for a very long time.

    I read your blog all the time even though I don't always comment. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? That's so sweet!!! I remember there was a Sprite commercial in those days where they sang "I like the Sprite in you!" I'm sure I was quoting that, but it would have been my dorky way of saying I love you. :)

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love you so much. Thanks for sharing this. I'm so glad that your daughter got to speak truth and God's belief in you that you have something to offer. You're an amazing woman of God that I deeply admire and appreciate. May He continue to use you as you reach for Him and others through this blog and your life. http://www.tanastable.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are extremely valuable words and kind encouragement. Thanks so much, Tana! I'm excited for the influence you're going to have through your blog, too. Martin Luther said, "If you want to change the world, pick up a pen."

      Delete