Monday, May 14, 2012

a trampoline and broken glass

So I was sitting at my computer on a blustery day, and a massive gust of wind whipped up, hurling one of our lawn chairs into the basement window and breaking the outer pane of glass.  I jumped up when I heard such a clatter but couldn’t throw open the sash because it was broken.  (Sorry, I think I’m a bit sleep deprived today.)  As I inspected the glass, I looked up and also saw a trampoline in my backyard.  We don’t own a trampoline.   

Isn’t that how life happens?  You’re just sitting there and in one gust of wind everything changes.   

I looked out the back door a few hours later and saw a neighbor standing in my back yard with her head tilted sideways.  That’s my trampoline, she said.  And we wondered how the trampoline could be in her yard one minute and in my yard the next. 

I called to find out we have a $500 homeowner’s deductible.  Sigh.  But dad’s words came to mind.  The words I heard him say my whole life. 

It’s just money. 

Perspective changes everything.  When the glass breaks and the unexpected flies into your life, how do you perceive it?   

“We walk by faith, not by sight.”  (2 Corinthians 5:7) 

There’s more to life than just what we can see.  More than broken glass.  More than an insurance deductible.  More than a trampoline.   

What unexpecteds have blown into your life lately?  Check your perception –are you seeing them only at face value, or are you viewing them through the lens of faith?

No comments:

Post a Comment