Thursday, May 31, 2012

this is what you can do to make God part of your day

I hate fixing fish and pulling wet babies out of a bathtub.  They’re both so stinkin’ slick!  I was always worried I would drop one of my kids, all Johnson-and-Johnson slippery, before I could get him wrapped in a towel. 

I’ve had a few people say to me, “I just don’t know how to make God a part of my whole day.”  A relationship with God feels slippery, like you get a hold of it when you’re at church for a few hours on Sunday, but then it’s all slick and hard to grip during the week. 

One habit I began in high school completely changed my relationship with God and allowed me to get close to him all day long –memorizing Bible verses.   



Last night our kids at church had an awards night for memorizing dozens of verses, some of them close to a hundred.  My husband was talking to our adult Bible study class, and he said, So what kind of award would us adults get for all the verses we’ve memorized this year? 

Moses urged the Israelites to remember and obey all of God’s statutes, and then he said, “Be on your guard and diligently watch yourselves, so that you don’t forget the things that your eyes have seen and so that they don’t slip from your mind as long as you live.  Teach them to your children and grandchildren.”  (Deuteronomy 4:9 HCSB) 

All the amazingness of God that we want to experience easily slips from our minds.  Moses urged the people to work to keep in their minds who God was, what he had done, and how he wanted them to live.  We have to work at it, too. 

If your relationship with God seems to be slippery, you need to get a grip on his words.  What Bible verse could you memorize this week?

1 comment: