Friday, June 1, 2012

the most powerful thing a man can do for a woman

I have coffee breath. 

I don’t care, he says. 

I haven’t showered. 

I don’t care, he says. 

I haven’t shaved my legs for four days. 

I don’t care, he says and pulls me close.  You’re beautiful.  And when I look straight into his eyes I believe he actually means it, for real.  He thinks I’m beautiful just like this. 

Today is our 21st wedding anniversary, and this is the powerful thing my man has done for two decades –accepting me and pulling me close, even when anyone else would think I’m disgusting. 

Every single day looking at me like I'm this beautiful.



In Sunday morning Bible study the man sitting behind me says out loud, Isn’t it amazing that God’s Spirit comes to live inside us.  And stays. 

God stays –keeps loving through the coffee breath, no-shower, furry leg days.  

“But God demonstrates his own love toward us in this.  While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.”  (Romans 5:8)   

In fact, the more anniversaries I celebrate in relationship with God, the more I realize it’s when I’m the most disgusting that God pulls me the closest and whispers soothing love and grace to my I feel ugly inside heart. 

Do you know that God loves you?

2 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary to the most beautiful couple ever! Remembering that day 21 years ago and how Matt sang the most precious song to you, "I Will Be There"... even through the ugly days. And how you gave an invitation for those to believe in Jesus. You have been faithful to the relationship God called you. I'm so proud of both of you and send you all my love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Matt is a good good man!

    What a beautiful picture you painted how God loves us- even with all our yuckies!

    And what a gorgeous wedding photo!! You are so beautiful- inside and out!

    ReplyDelete