Thursday, June 21, 2012

I married a counselor

I always joke that I’m such a mess I had to marry someone with a psych degree so I could have mental help full time.  (Well, mostly joking.) 



I enjoy something not every married woman enjoys –being married to a guy who knows how to listen.  (Except during ESPN sports highlights.  No woman should expect a man to give her rapt attention during sports highlights.  He is human, after all.) 

But I need more than that. 

Like last night when the clock said 12:23 a.m., and I woke up filled with anxiety.  Matt’s quiet breathing next to me left me alone with my worried thoughts.  For all of his therapy skills, he is an imperfect counselor because of the holes in his availability. 

I need more than he can humanly give.  I need 24-7. 

This morning at 12:23 a.m. I needed someone to listen.  Someone to speak reason to me and calm my pounding heart. 

Jesus prayed, “I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Counselor to be with you forever.”  (John 14:16  NIV) 

In coming to Jesus I joined my soul with a forever Counselor -a God who listens and comes to my aid at 12:23 a.m.   

Available.  

I prayed last night, and the Counselor spoke His words of truth that brought peace to my troubled mind.  My heart stilled.  Sleep came. 

Where do you turn when you’re upset but people aren’t available to listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment