Sunday, June 3, 2012

a note to worn-out moms

When I was puking up Chinese stir fry in my third trimester, I wish I would have been able to picture her receiving the principal’s scholarship. 

When I fed her breakfast, washed the highchair tray, fed her a morning snack, washed the highchair tray, fed her lunch, washed the highchair tray, fed her an afternoon snack, washed the highchair tray, fed her dinner, washed the highchair tray, fed her an evening snack, washed the highchair tray…I wish I would have been able to know how it would feel when she sat down me and her dad to tell us she received the four-year, full-tuition scholarship. 

When I spanked her in the car because she opened up stickers after I told her not to touch anything in the store, I wish I would have been able to picture her hanging the green chord for summa cum laude around her neck. 

When I took her to school and then got home and then went back to school with her PE uniform, I wish I would have been able to know how proud I would feel when she took the diploma with one hand and shook with the other. 

I say to you, tired mom –I wish you could know what it’s going to be like when you get to graduation day. 

Every diaper changed, every book read, every single moment of discipline handed out, every lunch packed, every mention of God…it’s all going to be worth it. 

GPA is cumulative.  It took my little girl assignment after assignment, quarter after quarter, semester after semester, year after year.  It all had to add up for her to wear the green chord. 


It’s just like that for moms.  All the little acts of teaching, loving, cuddling, disciplining, praying –they all add up.  And one day, if you stick with it, you’re going to sit proud like I did this weekend.  One day you’re going to love who your child has become. 


You’ll hold a little personal ceremony in your soul and say to yourself, Wow, I did it.  I raised a child.   

Don’t give up, worn-out mom.  It’s so gonna be worth it.

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful, just beautiful! Congratulations on the scholarship. Now for the next four years, you won't have to eat just peanut butter sandwiches. You can have the jelly too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears! I have tears in my coffee! Thank you for this sweet reminder to cherish every moment. You're gonna have to help me through my graduation weekends! Can't wait to hear how it all went!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your girls are well on their way to being beautiful young women! I promise I'll be there for you, sister.

      Delete