Thursday, June 7, 2012

try talking to God like this

I spent seven years in Texas, and one thing I noticed very quickly that contrasted with my experience growing up in Wyoming was the way young people addressed those in authority. 

Yes M’am.  No M’am. 

Yes sir.  No sir. 

(Can you use your imagination to hear a little drawl in there?) 

My new Texas friends told me how it was a whoopin’ offense when they were growing up, if they ever got caught answering anything but m’am or sir. 

I tried to get my kids to talk like that to adults up here in Montana, but it was ridiculously out of place, so I finally gave up. 

I have succeeded in training myself to talk to God like this, though.  When the Holy Spirit speaks to my heart and tells me to do something, I’ve been answering, Yes sir.  (And I do say it with a Texas drawl.  It’s just not the same without the drawl.)  

In Malachi 1:6 the Lord says to his people, “If I am a master, where is the respect due me? 

Do you talk to the Lord with a yeah or a yes sir?  It makes a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment