Wednesday, May 9, 2012

your soul and a rototiller

Search me, O God, and know my heart;
test me and know my anxious thoughts.



See if there is any offensive way in me



and lead me in the way everlasting.



(Psalm 139:23-24  NIV)

My friend kindly brought his rototiller over and did all of this hard work.  Yesterday I spent a long time bent over, sifting my hands through that freshly dug dirt and pulling out all the grass and weeds.  One handful at a time.  Moving slowly, because whatever I don’t see and remove now will grow up in my onions and cucumbers and carrots and tomatoes in a few weeks. 

Surely one of the most painful activities of following Christ has been this constant wanting to see my sin.  Asking God to dig deep and root out all those little thoughts and habits that don’t please him.  Sifting through my soul every day to pull out anything that will keep me from having a fruitful life. 

Is there any offensive way in me? 

God is no slouch.  He intends for your soul to be his pristine garden.  Will you invite him to do the tilling?

No comments:

Post a Comment