Tuesday, May 22, 2012

the one thing I've done well as a parent

My dad offered words of wisdom when I was growing up.

Always eat your crow when it’s still warm. 

In other words, as soon as you know your mistake, make your apology.  The longer you wait the more difficult it becomes.   

The assumption was that I would need to eat crow –the advice was how to go about it.  Unfortunately, dad’s words came to mind this week when I was sitting with the phone in my hands, trying to work up the nerve to call and say sorry.   

I realize I have done one thing really well as a parent.  I’ve modeled fast crow eating.  My kids are so lucky to have a mom who has made so many mistakes that they’ve regularly been able to witness what humility in apologizing looks like.  (I know –I’m amazing.  If only you could be like me!)   

I’ve pulled in close to both of my kids and have owned up to my mistakes.  I’ve apologized often and quickly.  It’s not my perfection as a parent that has grown the sweet relationship I now enjoy with my two teens –it’s my willingness to readily admit when I’m not perfect.  My experience is that kids forgive with shocking ease the adult who will simply admit she has messed up.   

Titus 3:2 says, “Show true humility.”  The humble apologize when they blow it. 

Of course, this crow eating works in any relationship.  Do you have a bird sitting in front of you getting cold?  I don’t recommend you wait any longer to say sorry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment