Monday, May 21, 2012

Ode to Words

Oh words,


You are the first bite of a chocolate chip cookie out of the oven
or the first taste of curdled milk.


You are the nightlight in the hall
or the meeting of shin to coffee table edge in the dark night.


You are the underduck at the swingset
or the pulled hamstring in the last lap of the race.


You are the top down in a convertible on a summer’s night
or the puff of exhaust behind a diesel truck.


You are the warm sweatshirt pulled straight from the dryer
or the towel rolled and snapped on bare backside in the locker room.


Oh words,
You can be so life-giving or so murderous. 


“For every creature –animal or bird, reptile or fish –is tamed and has been tamed by man, but no man can tame the tongue.  It is a restless evil, full of deadly poison.  With it we bless our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men who are made in God’s likeness…these things should not be this way.”  (James 3:7-10  Holman) 

It shouldn’t be both the blessings and the curses from one mouth.  I’ve seen them both pour from me this last week.  Some good words that brought smiles and truth and encouragement.  Some hurtful words that cut the soul.  It shouldn’t be both. 

Jesus, tame my tongue.  Get the soap and scrub my tongue of all the curses.  Whip my words into shape until only blessings come out.  Blessings on my husband.  Blessings on my kids.  Blessings on friends.  Blessings on strangers.  Let it be only blessings that comes out of my mouth. 

(You can borrow my prayer if you want.)

1 comment:

  1. I was sure on the encouraging end of your words! I am so thankful for my chats with you! Thank you for the sweet email- I was out of town this weekend- so we need to catch up!

    ReplyDelete