Friday, May 11, 2012

custom epitaph

I don’t really know how we got onto the conversation, but on one of our romantic Taco Bell dates my husband and I were discussing what my tombstone would read.  (My brain goes in odd directions, so I’m sure I brought it up!)  We decided it might read “one idea too many”. 

This week I was typing medical reports, and the doctor used the word assiduous.  I have decided I would like that chiseled on my tombstone, please.   

Assiduous:  Constant in application or attention, diligent, persistent, unceasing. 

A lot of times I sit down to write a note to you, and all of my gunk comes out.  The failures, discouragement, and reaching for hope.  But I hope through all of the sighing, shoulder-sagging words you see me as assiduous. 

Hebrews 10:36 says, “You need to persevere, so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised.” 

When it’s my turn to push up daisies (who thought up that phrase?), I hope the talk is all about my assiduous attention to the will of God -unceasing focus on what he wants me to do every day.  Sticking with it despite the tedium of obedience, despite the discouragement, and despite the failing days.  

Because the promise is life beyond the tombstone, so today I design this custom epitaph that shows what I am really living for.  

What one word do you hope people would choose to describe your life? 

No comments:

Post a Comment