Monday, July 2, 2012

Should parenting and bear spray go together?

I listened to Matt lecture Caleb not once but twice on not wandering off from the guys on his backpacking trip. 

I then raised the question, What about going to the bathroom?  This led to an interesting conversation about grizzly country and whether one should go potty alone in the wilderness.  (I’ll leave you to your imagination on that one.) 

I just spent the weekend before with a man who sported scars from a grizzly mauling injury to his leg.  Why wouldn’t I want my 15-year-old to spend the weekend in the woods?  

So I went to the store and bought him freeze-dried food and Off.  Helped him attach his backpack to the pack frame.  Made sure he had a water bottle and the bear spray.  Loaded him up and dropped him off with the other guys at church. 

Because kids need to live, and living isn’t safe. 

Jesus knew it when he prayed for us.  “My prayer is not that you take them out of the world but that you protect them from the evil one.”  (John 17:15  NIV) 

Prayed for but not sheltered. 

Are you trying to live too safely?

No comments:

Post a Comment