Friday, December 16, 2011

empty roll


I used the last of the toilet paper yesterday. (I’m not sure what you were expecting to read.) Probably since the beginning of toilet paper, which, according to Wikipedia, was used first by the Chinese in 6th century AD, there has been conflict within the user of the last square about
whether to replace the roll or leave it for the next guy to do. I actually stared at the empty roll and wondered, if I were to replace it, if the next person in the bathroom would give thought to appreciate my action.

Do small acts of service have significance?

A few nights ago my husband and I grabbed oranges and sat down on the couch together. He got his peeled quickly and then unexpectedly handed it to me in trade for the unpeeled. It was like getting a box of chocolates from an admirer.

God came down to earth and took the form of a servant. In the Bible we read about
Jesus’ great acts of service –forgiveness, healing, raising people from the dead. I wish we could see the small acts. John said there just wasn’t enough paper in the world to write it all down, but I wish there were just one chapter in one gospel that talked about the small acts.

Maybe, without being asked, Jesus cleaned up the tools at the end of a day of carpentry. Maybe He helped His mom carry a heavy basket of produce. Maybe He offered to get the firewood while the disciples rested.

Jesus said, “Whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant.” I wonder if that
begins with changing the toilet paper roll.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE your perspective and your ability to write such a profound story. You truly have a gift.

    ReplyDelete