Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Is it okay to take care of yourself?

On my 30th birthday, my outrageously on-fire metabolism began to sputter.  By my 35th birthday it had died on the side of the road.  For the first time in my life I couldn't eat whatever I wanted and not have it show up on my body.

So I determined to exercise, starting with resistance training. 

Resisting guilt. 

Don’t good moms give their whole day to their families?  Every waking moment thinking about what everyone else needs?  Dinner on the table, clean laundry, paid bills, made beds… 

I started putting in time doing strengthening exercises and then added 30 minutes on a treadmill. 

Totalling 45 minutes given over to sweating every day. 

I felt like a thief.  Stealing time during which I should have been doing those million other tasks for my beloved husband and children. 

Then I started to see results of my daily workouts:
·        Muscles toned.
·        Toned muscles led to improved perception of beauty.
·        Change in perception of beauty led to increase in flirting with husband. 
·        Flirting increased husband’s happiness.
·        Care about quality and quantity of food consumption rose.
·        Mom ate better.  Everybody ate better.
·        Energy level increased.
·        Increased energy level led to increased productivity.
·        And so on and so on.

Taking time to exercise was one of the best actions I’ve ever taken toward my family’s well being. 

“Make every effort to add to your faith…self control.”  Increasing this quality “will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.”  (2 Peter 1:5,6,8) 

Effectiveness and productivity –the two things a mom desires most.  They start with controlling our own health. 

How's your fitness routine?

No comments:

Post a Comment