Thursday, August 2, 2012

Will you let God speak?

I was terribly homesick after a week in Uganda, and our team had limited time left on our cell phone card. 

I only had a few minutes to talk to my whole family, and there was my little boy, crying and talking a hundred miles an hour on the other end of the phone. 

I forgot to bring home the field trip form.  What am I going to do?  I’m not going to be able to go on the trip tomorrow.  Upset and unreasonable.   

This is grade school trauma. 

In between his panicky words I kept trying to insert instructions, but it was useless.  He wouldn’t let me get a word in edge wise, and I was using up team phone minutes. 

I finally said firmly, I love you –let me talk to dad. 

I do the same thing sometimes.  Panicky and crying.  Thinking a hundred miles an hour.  Hashing a problem around in my brain for hours. 

Stopping to listen doesn’t even cross my mind. 

God’s sitting there with some instruction that would help, but I don’t pause long enough to let Him get a word in. 

The voice of the Lord is over the waters…
The voice of the Lord is powerful
The voice of the Lord is majestic…
The voice of the Lord breaks the cedars…
The voice of the Lord strikes with flashes of lightning…
The voice of the Lord shakes the desert…
The voice of the Lord twists the oaks and strips the forests bare...
(from Psalm 29) 

There is a Voice that has the power to change every situation.  To break.  To strike.  To shake.  To twist. 

We should be quiet for a minute and hear what God has to say about what we’re going through.

No comments:

Post a Comment