Thursday, August 9, 2012

the pout

Did you know it’s possible to say, It’s okay with different tones of voice? 

Like when someone bumps into me accidentally and says sorry.  I sing-song a cheerful It’s okay. 

Or when a girlfriend tells me about her hard day and then apologizes profusely for dumping on me.  I lean forward, eyes all compassion and kindness, and say, It’s okay. 

But then the husband calls when I’m putting together homemade pizza and says he won’t make it home for dinner and that he also has a late meeting.  It’s okay, I say. 

But my tone says, Don’t worry about me – sigh – I’ll just be home by myself all alone tonight with no one to enjoy this fresh pizza out of the oven and to keep me company, but don’t worry about me.  I’ll probably just mope around depressed with nothing to do, feeling sorry for myself.  Maybe watch some television –by myself.   

That was me last night. 

And he hangs up feeling all bad and neglectful because of how “okay” I am. 

Bad wife!  Bad wife!  (I say to the tune of bad dog – bad dog.) 

Really, the man has a job and obligations, and he loves me like crazy and calls me like five times a day just to say hi and see how I’m doing.  Could I not be gracious and not pout when things don’t go like I want? 

Seriously. 

So here’s a public apology to my man.  Forgive my pout –I beg you!  It was subtle but childish, and you deserve better. 

Philippians 2:14 (NIV) says, “Do everything without complaining…”   

Oh man, those really, really simple commands are the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment