Wednesday, April 4, 2012

the ingredient for peace

A while ago I tried a new soup recipe –cream of broccoli –and made the foolish mistake of putting it on the table without tasting it first.  We all took our first bites and then immediately looked at each other with the same face. 

Needs salt! 

Jesus commands his disciples, “Have salt in yourselves, and be at peace with each other.” (Mark 9:50) 

Relationships without salt are…missing something.   

Isn’t that what we say when we put in our mouths a bite of food that lacks salt?  This is missing something.  And we squinch up our eyes in thought, trying to put our finger on what it needs. 

Jesus tells his disciples “You are the salt of the earth.”  (Matthew 5:13) 

I have a relationship with a sister in Christ that I keep hoping will get better.  Like sitting at the table staring at a bowl of soup, hoping the next bite I take will taste better than the first. 

Have salt. 

Be salt. 

And be at peace with each other. 

I was doing dishes, and God was talking hard to me about what I need to do to make things more peaceful with this friend.  I have to admit it made me slightly grumpy to have God put responsibility on me. 

I need to make the effort.  I need to put in the energy.  I need to pursue peace. 

I am the salt. 

Are you in a relationship with a brother or sister in Christ that seems to be missing something?  You have what it needs.  Be salt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment