Tuesday, April 24, 2012

breaking the 10th commandment

I was having a great day yesterday -working on a Bible study, doing fifteen billion loads of laundry (which I enjoy –that is sick), and enjoying some sunshine.   

Then I sat down at the computer and read a blog by a beautiful woman who has been a great encouragement to me as I attempt to write.  I scrolled through all these pictures of her doing something I have secretly dreamed of doing for years. 

Just like that I was coveting. 

“You shall not covet your neighbor’s house.  You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his manservant or maidservant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor.”  (Exodus 20:17  NIV) 

Anything that belongs to my neighbor? 

I stood doing dishes trying to figure out what caused this ugly feeling to rise up in me, and I decided it is because of a secret worry that good things are scarce.  Worried that if she has that good opportunity then maybe there is nothing left for me.  Like God’s goodness is a lottery ticket -she had the lucky number, and that’s the end of the game for me. 

Is it possible that she can have an amazing opportunity to use the gift God has given her to influence the world.  And so can I?  

If I look over the fence and long for what my neighbor has, I might miss what God is backing onto my driveway.  God’s goodness in my own yard.  God’s plan for my own fruitful life.  Surely God’s goodness won’t run out right before he gets to my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment