Monday, April 9, 2012

the favorite child

Years ago my mother-in-law showed me a poem to describe how she felt about her three boys.  It was written in 1971 by Erma Bombeck and is entitled I’ve Always Loved You Best.  Erma says “To the Firstborn…I’ve always loved you best…To the Middle Child…I’ve always loved you best…To the Baby…I’ve always loved you best.” 

An excellent parent has this ability to love deeply, making each of her children feel like the favorite. 

I know that’s what has happened when Paul describes himself, in Romans 1:1 (HCSB), as “Paul, a slave of Christ Jesus…and singled out for God’s good news.”   

Singled out.  The favorite child. 

Singled out, Paul?  I feel that way –like God has especially chosen and called me to do something for him in a way only I can.  I thought I must be the one God loved best. 

Then I read Paul’s very own words to disciples of Jesus.  “A manifestation of the Spirit is given to each person to produce what is beneficial.”  (1 Corinthians 12:7  HCSB) 

Each person singled out. 

To each one a special gift is given to produce something beneficial to everyone.  This is God’s extraordinary parenting love to us and his mad method of revealing himself to the world. 

What have you been singled out by God to do?  Don’t be shy to say it out loud.  You know he loves you best.

No comments:

Post a Comment