Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Look better.

I most love to be with people who look into my soul.  When they interact with me their eyes and body language and questions probe deeply to who I really am. 

I paused in my Bible reading recently when I saw that Moses and Aaron were praying and said, “O God, God of the spirits of all mankind…”  (Numbers 16:22  NIV) 

God’s eyes and body language and questions probe deeply into the spirit of a man. 

Samuel says, “The Lord does not look at the things man looks at.  Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”  (1 Samuel 16:7  NIV) 

God would never run errands and casually pass people by without looking them in the eye.  He would never say “thank you” to a grocery store carryout or to a bank teller without giving thought to the condition of that person’s spirit.  Would God ever once allow himself to be superficial with people? 

What I wouldn’t give to be described as “Christy of the spirits of mankind”.   

I practiced this yesterday when I was sitting at a stoplight.  I looked at individual people in their cars and put some energy into wondering what was going on in their spirits.  Forcing myself to see them. 

God of the spirits.  God of the spirits.  God of the spirits.  This is my new mantra for when I’m mingling with mankind, to train my mind to see people the way God does. 

Do you look at hearts?

No comments:

Post a Comment