Friday, February 24, 2012

we can't give from emptiness

We went to a Thursday night worship service at Youth With a Mission last night.  A rather raucous event with music a little louder than comfortable in a room full of people young enough to be our own children.  A visiting missionary from Taiwan spoke to us from the Bible.   

It was wonderful. 

There we stood, the preacher and his wife, absorbing the worship and the truth without having to contribute to the night.  Just filling up our souls with the goodness of who God is.  Singing loud and taking in the words from the Bible that soak in deep to the dry places. 

This morning I wake up and sit for a long time with a blank notebook in my lap, trying to decide what truth I can bring from God’s word that would be meaningful to life.   

I look at the page and realize I have nothing but blank unless God gives me words. 

I am nothing but emptiness unless God fills. 

I have nothing to give to you in the way of words unless I have received something myself.



“I will praise you, O Lord, with all my heart; I will tell of all your wonders.  I will be glad and rejoice in you; I will sing praise to your name, O Most High.”  (Psalm 9:1-2) 

Every single day I run the risk of living an empty life.  I risk having nothing of value to give to anyone.  Unless I sing and pray and read the Bible.  Unless I worship God with all my heart and allow him to fill me with his joy and his character and his truth. 

How often do you spend time with God?

1 comment:

  1. Why do we even attempt a day without starting it with Him? It's like going on a road trip without filling up the gas tank!

    ReplyDelete