Wednesday, February 8, 2012

sight unseen...continued

Why do children love pretending to be blind?

blind man’s bluff
pin the tail on the donkey
pinata breaking

My friend and I used to take turns –one with a blindfold and the other leading.  The game inevitably found me, the blindfolded one, walking into walls, tripping over toys, falling down steps.  I would say anxiously, Am I going to walk into anything?  Is there anything in front of me?  Do you promise you’ll tell me if there’s a step up or down?  Not a lot of trust in the leader and for good reason. 

Psalm 48:14 says, “For this God is our God for ever and ever; he will be our guide...

But what kind of guide?

Sometimes I’m that kid again with the blindfold on.  God, will you let me trip?  Will you lead me part way and then get bored and leave me in the middle of nowhere?  Do you promise you’ll tell me if I need to make a step up or down?

On this day I slip my hand under his arm, but before we start walking I pause and squeeze his arm tight to make sure he's listening.  Okay, I’m trusting you.  

"Cast your cares on the Lord and he will sustain you; he will never let the righteous fall."  Psalm 55:22

No comments:

Post a Comment