Thursday, February 2, 2012

choose your song carefully

I didn’t think he would take me up on it.

I raised my hands in worship at church, singing to God about how I would love him with all my heart and my strength and my mind.

I didn’t know that would mean…

-a few hundred hours spent writing Bible studies 
-teaching 70 children a Bible story at the end of a long day, every Wednesday for four years 
-laboring over a worship planning meeting –hashing and rehashing ideas, only to toss them in the trash and start over 
-giving up coveted weekends to plan and teach
-setting up the Lord’s supper instead of taking a nap 
-offering a listening ear when I really wish someone would offer me one 
          -giving away a chunk of savings account

I didn’t know he really meant all my strength... until I drop into bed exhausted. 

I didn’t know he meant all my mind, until my eyes are crossed at the computer and I need deep tissue massage for my aching shoulders. 

I didn’t know he meant all my heart, until I wish I could drop some of these ministry tasks and relax but care too much about the people involved to do it. 

The greatest commandment in the Law:  “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.”  Mark 12:30

Take it from me.  Better not sing it unless you mean it.

2 comments:

  1. Meaningful, very meaningful. Woman comes across a treasure in a field... sells everything she has to buy the treasure. She finds out it is worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So worth it, but I don't know that I was prepared for the cost of loving and serving God with all my heart. Are you a pastor, Trey?

      Delete