Monday, November 21, 2011

losing sarcasm

She made an adorable scarf out of old pizza restaurant curtains. I sewed a beautiful pocket once -only to lift up the skirt and find the pocket hanging from the hem. She cooks mouthwatering, beautiful meals. I once put a salad in the freezer to chill it after it had sat in a hot car. (Who knew lettuce would turn black like that.) She fashioned a kitchen island out of an old cupboard, with an antique door covered in tile for the countertop. I once painted a wall the color of toothpaste. I used to respond to her latest creations with biting sarcasm -the only words I could think of that would make me feel better about myself. I've tried something new in the last several months, though -admitting that she's beyond amazing at the things I'm not amazing at. Admiration seems to be a good replacement for envy.

No comments:

Post a Comment