Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

Is the best part of Thanksgiving day the stack of sales fliers? I heard Target's doorbuster bins were empty by early this morning. I personally made a valient attemt to push a cart through Wal-Mart at 8:00 a.m. to get a great deal on shotgun shells for Matt. As we left my mother-in-law's home last night, after eating Thanksgiving dinner, they bid my husband and our son to be safe when hunting the next day. I said, "Really? They're just going hunting in the woods and you wish them safety, but you say nothing to a person who has committed to find a parking place at Wal-Mart on Black Friday?" Several years ago I found myself approaching Christmas like Black Friday -gearing up for the perfect season and hurrying to get to whatever would make me feel good inside the fastest. The Christmas season began to feel like getting to Target and finding the doorbusters gone -nothing but an empty bin. My feelings reached a crisis one year when I sat down at a Christmas Eve worship service and could barely breathe. I was exhausted from baking, decorating, shopping, baking, parties, wrapping, Christmas letter writing, baking, -trying not to forget a tradition or a gift. My shoulders were tense, and I just wanted to go home and collapse into bed. Worship? By evening on Thanksgiving day there were people lined up outside of Best Buy, willing to spend hours in the cold for a sale on the latest technology. I want more than Best Buy has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment