Sunday, March 11, 2012

the seventh day is for empty people

All week long we feel the emptiness of our souls and try to fill it.

With food.  With people.  With new things from a store.  With a TV.

And that's why we go to church.  To remember where fullness.  Real fullness.  Comes from.

O God,
Thou hast taught me
that Christ has all fullness and
so all plenitude of the Spirit,
that all fullness I lack in myself is in him,
for his people, not for himself alone,
he having perfect knowledge, grace,
righteousness,
to make me see,
to make me righteous,
to give me fullness;
that it is my duty, out of a sense of emptiness,
to go to Christ, possess, enjoy his fullness
as mine,
as if I had it in myself, because it is for me in him;
that when I do this I am full of the Spirit,
as a fish that has got from the shore to the sea
and has all fullness of waters to move in...

-a puritan prayer from Valley of Vision

May you get filled up today.

No comments:

Post a Comment