Thursday, March 29, 2012

put a halt to complaining

I sat at dinner with my husband and was telling him about my upcoming annual physical, which I despise going to.  Do you know why?  Because the doctor always lectures me about how I’m supposed to be taking care of myself.  And I’m always thinking I KNOW ALREADY!  I’m an intelligent adult.  I think I know how to take care of myself.  I sat at dinner ranting and raving about how annoyed I get when the doctor tells me what I already know.  (Hmmmm… a bit strong willed one might observe.) 

Then I remembered something I had just listened to.  Francis Chan told about visiting Lima, Peru where there had been an influx of refugees.  He showed a picture of a dusty hillside filled with squatter shacks that house about 300,000 people.  No running water.  No electricity.  Not a single doctor. 

Not a single doctor for 300,000. 

When that came to mind I felt ashamed at my arrogant, wealthy person pouting about how annoyed I get at my doctor.   

Colossians 3:15 says “Be thankful.”  Well, I’m pretty sure griping and being thankful cannot share the same space.  I have swallowed the complaining, and you can be sure that when I’m at the doctor’s office today I’m going to be thanking God for the privilege of health care.  I promise I’m going to listen to whatever my doctor says and be thankful for the privilege of medical education. 

Is there something you’ve been complaining about?

No comments:

Post a Comment