Wednesday, January 18, 2012

source

I was so immature when we first got married.  Not really, really super mature like I am now.

(Are you still reading?)

After three years into marriage, Matt finished grad school, and we moved to Kalispell, Montana to live with his mom.  It was a good arrangement.  She was very lonely after the death of my father-in-law to cancer, and we had a brand new baby girl and were penniless.

I think back to those days and have decided my mother-in-law is a SAINT.  I was lazy and undisciplined in every way.  Selfish and outspoken.  We got along great, but I know there were times when I had to have made her nuts.  She was kind and gracious always, but I think I probably made her work at it.  Like when I decided to do a deep clean in her kitchen without even asking her, and she came home from work every day for a week to a pile of stuff I wanted her to go through.  Who does stuff like that?  Thoughtless.  (Sorry, mom!)

Genesis 26:34-34 says, “When Esau was forty years old, he married Judith daughter of Beeri the Hittite, and also Basemath daughter of Elon the Hittite.  They were a source of grief to Isaac and Rebekah.”

The word source can be followed by any word.  Source of strength.  Source of water.  Source of pride.  Source of pain.  What are we a source of to our families? 

No comments:

Post a Comment