Friday, January 13, 2012

call dad

Remember the movie Annie?  She was the curly-red-haired orphan who was adopted by the tycoon Mr. Warbucks. 

My dad worked hard and saved wisely and got to a place where he had a good bit of money.  He has always liked spending that money on me and my brother.  I don’t remember when we started to call him Daddy Warbucks.

My favorite trip to the mailbox is when I open the door and see a thin envelope that almost seems empty.  The return address shows my dad’s solid, block-letter handwriting that says, “Daddy Warbucks”.  Inside is nothing but a check with my name on it.

When I call dad and need a little financial help, he always says, “Just a second.”  And while I’m on the phone he writes a check, and he makes me repeat the amount I need, to make sure he’s getting it right .  He gets an envelope and a stamp.  He asks for my address (because he can never remember it).  Then, while I’m still on the phone, he walks to the mail box and puts the envelope in the mail. 

“It’s on its way” he says.

A centurion came to Jesus asking for help.  His servant was at home “paralyzed and in terrible suffering…Then Jesus said to the centurion, ‘Go!  It will be done just as you have believed it would’  And his servant was healed at that very hour.”  (Matthew 8:6,13)

The God who is filthy rich is able to begin helping us when the request is barely out of our mouths.  We only need to come to him asking for help, believing he has the resources and authority to take care of the problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment